POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How about a contest....... : Re: How about a contest....... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:12:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How about a contest.......
From: swampie
Date: 20 Mar 2007 10:05:02
Message: <web.45fff7343a09fa7d662071b70@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> wrote:
> "Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
> > While I believe this is an interesting discussion overall, let me put here a
> > blasphemous thought in this context: Why a contest or a competition? While I
> > enjoy participating in a contest or two once in a while, I must say that
> > they distract me also from the current rendering projects I am working on.
> > That is why I love p.b.i. because you can show whatever you want to show and
> > get response at the same time. I don't care very much about the contest
> > spirit itself. Personally, I am much more interested in the evolution of
> > concepts and styles people are showing us here.
> >
> > Thomas
>

> Stephen

Wow!

Lot's of better comments this time. The reason for a contest is it spurs
actions that day to day " Hey, what if we did this?" evolution won't see
the need for. In other words, the pressure of a contest brings out the best
and worst of a tool you are competing with. While I agree ( from an American
viewpoint) that too much competition can be bad, even to the point of
causing damage, I think POV is safe here. As for improvements being up to
the POV Team, I'm sure they would appreciate the inputs that a competition
would cause. After all look how good they've done so far! As for me
starting my own contest, I'm afraid I'm a pauper. Usually the best interest
in a competition comes when a major player advertizer offers a major prize.
( I'll bet that Johnny Yip of the 2004 competition hasn't thrown away that
prize yet!)

Thanks to all,

Swampie